Area rugs add warmth and texture to a room and can even be the foundation of its look. They can make a room contemporary and modern, traditional and ethnic, or cozy and homey. Whichever look appeals to you, however, there are plenty of choices this year.
And they’re all gorgeous, so you’re sure to find something for every taste and purpose. Here’s a look at the latest trends in area rugs.
- Layered carpeting – Layering a rug on top of another one is not a new idea, as the style has been around for a long time, but it’s certainly trendy right now. If done properly, layered carpeting can add a sense of luxury and depth to any room.
- Moroccan, Persian and Turkish rugs – Similar, but with important differences, Moroccan, Persian, and Turkish rugs have bold patterns and intricate designs that can add an upscale and antique look to your decor.
- Natural hues and materials – Rugs with natural, earthy hues made from natural materials or fibers are very popular now too thanks to greater environmental awareness. These rugs let you bring a bit of nature into your home.
- Vintage style – Rich with colors and patterns, vintage rugs are neither antique nor new, but they have become very popular in home decor in the last few years. Usually ranging between 25-50 years old, vintage rugs can add charm and character to any modern room.
- Custom Dhurrie rugs – Dhurrie rugs are made in India and surrounding regions. It is a handmade, flat weave rug made from natural fibers such as cotton, jute, silk, and wool. They are very durable and come in colorful and bold designs and motifs. They’re also reversible, so you essentially get two rugs in one.
- Patterned area rugs – Patterned rugs are stylish now as well. Geometric shapes, colorful, and bold patterns can make any size or style room bright and beautiful. Put them in your entryway, living room, den, etc., – you’ll love this look anywhere.
- Woven jute rugs – As its name suggests, jute rugs are made from the jute plant, a plant native to India and Bangladesh. The popularity of jute rugs has also been inspired by greater environmental awareness, as they possess a cool, natural beauty as well as add elegance to your decor.
- Animal prints – The popularity of animal prints never seems to fully fade away, and that’s no less true for this year. Area rugs with animal prints add depth and texture to your living space. Look for animal prints in neutral colors that can match your existing decor.
- Round rugs – Round rugs, oval rugs, and even irregularly-shaped rugs make great statement pieces, add a bit of glamour to your decor, and are perfect for entryways and dining rooms.